Old 07-10-13, 04:02 PM
DubT

Bikes: Trek Speed Concept 9.9, 2011 Calfee Tetra Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Ritterview
I have 230 gram 25 mm Continental GP4000S tires on our tandem. But, I am seeing where 90% of pro riders in the Giro use 25 mm tires. I figure if a 140 lb. pro rider is most efficient on a 25 mm tire, this 290 lb. tandem team could stand to use a wider tire.

But the GP4000S doesn't come in 28 mm. I guess the obvious move is to the 260 gram Conti GP4 Seasons.

I looked at Michelin, but I don't see anything. The least bad 28 mm appears to be the cheapie 340 gram Dynamic Sport. What happened to the Krylion? That was a nice tire, and would have been a natural for the 28 mm.

There is the 235 gram Ultremo ZX with V-Guard, which appears to be Schwalbe's equivalent to the GP4000S, only it comes in 28 mm. Interesting that it in 28 mm it is only 5 grams heavier than the 25 mm GP4000S. I wonder how good that V-Guard flat protection is?

Another candidate is the Specialized Roubaix Pro, which is 700 x 25/28; psi 115-125; approx. weight 300g. What is 25/28? 26.5 mm?

Are there any other performance 28 mm tires we should consider?
So why are you going to 28mm tires on your super light super fast Dragonfly? Pinch flats, flats, uncomfortable? I would be very concerned with the front tire fork clearance. If you pick up a little rock is it going to clear the tire/fork crown, the space between the tire and the fork at the top of the tire where it passes the bottom of the fork. That area of my fork is all scratched up from rocks hitting it. I have actually painted that area with the paint that you use on the bed of a pickup truck and then covered that with helicopter blade tape to protect it. There is a difference in the Schwalbe tires, the newest ones have the letter V on the sidewall. Are the ones that you ordered the new ones or are they left over old stock?

We are using the ZX "V" tires and for us here in Central Illinois they are fantastic! Light, fast, 2 flats in 11,000 miles and excellent wear. YMMV!
Wayne