Old 08-09-13, 11:15 AM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
The Shimano SPD-SL cleats have 3 float offerings: Black=0° float, yellow=6°, grey =4°, not sure about the SPD...
Are you sure about this, Bill? Is it something new? I've been using SPD-SL pedals and cleats the past several years and as far as I know, when you purchase a set of pedals, they come with the 6° float yellow cleats. Since I came from "rat trap" pedals, I feel insecure with float and purchased the zero-float cleats, which are red in color, (The nibs that is. All of them have a black base). I have about six pairs of yellow cleats that I should probably put on eBay because I'll never use them. I've never heard of, or have ever seen 4° grey cleats.

Rich, the attachment of a cleat to a shoe is pretty much infinitely adjustable. This is where a shop can really help you. A good starting point is to position the cleat so that the ball of your foot is over the base of the pedal and your foot is parallel to the crank and longitudinal axis of the bike. Then, adjust as your physiology dictates. You'll need to get new shoes also.