Old 09-22-13, 01:24 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Woj75
I've got a Campy Chorus 10 rear dérailleur, front deraileur, and 2003 square taper Record cranks for a new build. I need shifters and was looking for advice on what shifters to pair with my group- older 2003 Chorus or Record-2004 or later 10 QS chorus or record - newer Centaur 10?

Which of the bunch will shift more positively and are going to last the longest?
Thanks
2010 Veloce/Centaur Ultrashift levers (not early 2009 with weak detents, not 2011 and newer which are Powershift and only shift one cog smaller per lever actuation). You could also get there starting with a pair of Chorus Ultrashift levers and the EC-CE160 index cam out of a crashed 10 cog ultrashift lever or EC-CE100 right mechanism (includes everything but mounting hardware, brake blade, and hood for about $90).

The Ultrashift levers are most attractive from a longevity standpoint because they replace the C-Record G-spring mechanism with a ball bearing based detent system which should wear much more slowly due to the reduced friction. The third generation shape is also more comfortable because it spreads the load over more of your palm and I think there's more leverage on the brake levers from the hood position.

As noted the early 2009 10 cog levers have weak detents. There were rolling changes in late 2009 to fixed index cams and ball bearings on the central shaft. I don't know if those changes happened at the same time with ball bearings implying good cams. AFAIK there is no other externally visible difference between good and bad.

If you care about such things the 2010 Centaur Carbon Ultrashift levers are identical to Record apart from the 10 cog index cam not 11 and brake blade aesthetics with matching 337g per pair weight. Super Record levers add another attractive brake blade cut-out and use titanium rear ratchets dropping weight to 330g.

If you can't get those Campagnolo still sells 10 cog Chorus and Record QS levers where the difference is graphics and a coated right index cam that arguably aren't worth the price increase. Stock up on right G-springs and spring carriers and get thumb + front lever return springs and a shift paddle because Campagnolo discontinued small parts for first generation levers, third generation levers in 2009, and second generation parts seem likely to follow. As other posters noted QS is a front shift change which showed up at the same time as Escape but is unrelated.

I'm running 2010 Centaur Carbon Ultrashift levers with mid 2000s Record Titanium derailleurs and picked up a set of Veloce Ultrashift levers as spares before the NOS supplies ran out.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 09-26-13 at 12:58 PM.