Old 09-26-13, 10:50 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Woj75

Does the latest version of Chorus 10 QS Ultra have the ball bearing cog index cam design

No. They use the 1992 G-spring mechanism derived from a down-tube shift lever with the clock spring introduced with 9 cogs to counter balance derailleur spring tension so less force is required to shift to larger cogs.

or do I have to start with Chorus 11 speed and down grade with the parts you described above.
You want some sort of Ultrashift lever with the revised clickier 10 cog index cam. If you start with a Chorus lever and add parts other than the complete mechanism you may also want the front ratchet which is 10 speed specific. I didn't change the front ratchet when I moved from 8 to 9 cogs and could only make a 2 cog shift to the big cog not 3 until I bent the lever to allow more clearance although every place else I got 3 cog shifts.

Here's the classic G-spring mechanism we've come to know and love and its corresponding index cam. Note

1. The steel G-spring legs which rub across the index detents and wear away

2. The thin carrier which has cracked from fatigue

Here's an Ultrashift rear ratchet and the two 10 speed index cam varieties. Note

1. The two ball bearings which roll over the corresponding detents for minimal wear

2. The beefy stationary index cam in good (left) and weak original 2009 (right) forms. Part of the more positive feel comes from the radial protrusions between positions which require the index cam to compress the volute springs holding it against the rear ratchet before the ratchet can move to the next position.

Here are the Campagnolo spares catalog pages for the Centaur Ultrashift levers before and after the mid-2009 move from small parts sales to assemblies. Note

The EC-CE110 set of parts is also no longer sold separately from EC-CE100. You might be able to find a retro shop which eschews the internet and still has the separate EC-CE160 index cam or that group in its part bins along with the EC-CE133 front ratchet.

2. The index cam, front ratchet, and brake blades have Centaur part numbers; rear ratchet and shift paddles Record; and everything else Super Record.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
second_gen_g_spring.jpg (42.6 KB, 40 views)
second_gen_index_cam.jpg (83.6 KB, 37 views)
ultrashift_mechanism.jpg (47.7 KB, 35 views)
ultrashift_good_and_bad.jpg (63.4 KB, 36 views)
ultrashift_small_parts.jpg (79.7 KB, 37 views)
ultrashift_assemblies.jpg (87.1 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 09-26-13 at 03:00 PM.