View Single Post
Old 10-31-13, 10:44 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7

thanks for the trash talk ... why don't you go head-to-head against my mangobike if you're so confident?

a lot of trash-talking but no direct competition ... just about what I expected from BF ... a lot of big talk but nothing behind
You know, acidfast7, I've re-read the thread and better understand what you're trying to show with this experiment. I think that my last response was over the top, and I apologize for the challenging tone that it took. My bad.

Your question was whether the original owner could really tell the difference between seemingly similar bikes...and I think that I'd respond "it depends". Sometimes the differences between how the bikes are set up (whether hubs are binding, or whether the chain line is off) can create a perceptible difference.

And further, much depends on the sensitivity and experience of the rider - at least in terms of the subjective aspects of whether a bike feels "lively" or "responsive". I know that I can tell the difference between the feel of bikes that I own and ride on the road. I have another bike, a middle-of-the-road 1980s road bike, that has really nice sealed bearing hubs laced to original rims. It is a joy to ride. I can't explain it - it's not the frame, per se, but the combination that is out of this world...

Anyway, I hope that you enjoy your bike and continue to get satisfactory use from it. I'd be interested if you do have component wear or other issues that crop up with its continued use.

Again, sorry about the combative tone. It wasn't called for. Phil G.