View Single Post
Old 10-31-13, 06:51 PM
Ridefreemc

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mstraus
I have been commuting on a road bike with 23mm tires (Conti Gator skins after my old tires got several flats).

I am looking at a new bike which will allow a larger size tire as well as fenders, etc. as well as likely Steel for better ride

I am trying to decide WHAT size tire I would like to get.

For reference, I commute just over 16 miles each way, climb about 450 feet each way, and am on roads or bike paths the entire time. The roads/paths can be a bit rough at time and there are unavoidable obstacles in areas.

I could just stick with 23mm, which would be the fastest but also I assume least comfortable and most prone to flats. Alternatively I could go with a larger tire - 25, 28 or maybe even 32mm. Not sure I want to step up all he way to 32, but wonder how different 25 vs 28 would be and how different they would be the just going with 23mm in terms of tradeoff of ride vs speed due to additional rotational weight.

Ideally I would try riding with different size tires to see what I like, but the tires cost enough I am not sure I want to buy two sets to decide

Any input from people who have tried different tire sizes on the same bike is appreciated.
It may take a while for you to get used to wider tires, but i would suggest not limiting yourself to the sizes you cited. I went from 23mm to 40mm (Trek Madone to Salsa Vaya) and really like the ride waaaay better. Now last night I switched out to 35mm and will likely stay there. Schwalbe Marathon Supremes - not flats in 2 years on the 40mm tires and they still look newish (maybe 2000 miles). I got the 35mm editions on Ebay for $58 (they are usually $75).

Go wider young man!