View Single Post
Old 11-26-13, 09:11 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 199 Posts
YES, I own one! That light is a great light. Run time on high is 2 hours, on low 8. If you look at the beam comparisons here: http://reviews.mtbr.com/2012-bike-li...pattern-photos You'll find that lights that are brighter cost a lot more money, and you can get an Saferide on Amazon for around $80!

This light is the brightest light in beam projected appearance on the bike paths and roads that I've run into riding around in Fort Wayne Indiana. It out did my friends Magic Shine 1100 or 1200 in brightness, light width and length.

The batteries ARE EASY to replace, simply loosen the screw and pop the back off, inside are 4 AA batteries spring loaded like any other AA battery device...how difficult is that? Putting the back back on is a bit difficult because of the tight waterproof seal, and the seal works as witnessed to it's several downpours one would expect riding in the Midwest. And why would someone not be confident of their on board charger? I've had mine now for 2 riding seasons and it charges the batteries just fine, it's a smart charger too instead of a timed charger that can overcharge batteries if their not run to dead prior to charging. My original light came with a battery that would not charge right, so I contacted Philips, they sent me a new light/charger/batteries and that one is fine. The huge advantage with using AA bats is that you can buy more at any store, but I would make sure the new bats have at least the same amp hour rating as the ones from the factory.

I do not find this light to big, heavy, or bulky. I also own a Cygolite MityCross 480, combine that light with the separate battery pack and you have a bulky light, but neither of them are big or heavy. Look, the light is all one piece instead of two separate units, plus instead of using cheap plastic or thin aluminium walled construction Phillips made this light very durable with thicker aluminum shell then other lights, but it's aluminum not steel. I don't find the light to be heavy. In fact my friends former Magic Shine 1100 or 1200 battery alone was bigger, heavier, and bulkier than the Phillips! Big...hmm, as a one piece light goes compared to my one piece Cygolite ExpiliOn (another Cygolite I have) it is bigger, but that size enabled Phillips to use a larger lens, and a larger lens is much more eye catching to oncoming motorists than a smaller lens producing a pin prick of light appearance. I had both, my Phillips and the Cygolite Mitycross 480 on and I had my wife drive towards me from 5 blocks away, as she rounded the turn to come towards me she told me later that the first thing she saw was the Phillips because of the larger lens surface produced a bright large area vs the Mitycross that looked like a pin prick of bright light, and due to the larger size she could estimate her distance to me better than the other light.

The mount has no wobbles either, it does need to be tightened once in the correct position with a tool to keep it from shifting downward as you hit ruts and bumps in the road because it front heavy, Phillips should have put the clip for the mount in a position giving it 50/50 weight distribution but I guess they couldn't think of everything. You can hand tighten it enough to ride but occasionally you will have to readjust the light. The light mount is not going to work with some sort of oblong shaped bar, all my bars are round and it fits on all of them from vintage on up to brand new.

I find the beam pattern not erratic at all, it's very evenly distributed in a pear like shape with the point of the pear out the furthest of course. In fact I find this light to be the least erratic of all the lights I have, which granted are not a lot, I have an old Cygolite Metro 13 watt converted to 16 watt halogen, Cygolite ExpiliOn 350, and the Mitycross 480, and the Phillips beam pattern is more evenly distributed than those. or a friends former MagicShine 1100 or 1200 I forget.

Take a look at the 2012 MTB head light shoot out, and see for yourself. Keep in mind when you look at those pics that you look at them without looking at how much light is hitting the tree tops, but rather how much light is hitting where the street would be...the grass area, then look at the lower half of the fence, and look at the width of the beam. Pictures don't do any light justice compared to the human eye, in real life the Philips looks better than the pic shows, but then so would all the other lights, but at least you can get a comparison.