View Single Post
Old 11-28-13, 11:45 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by alfmil
I can’t decide if I should keep the Veloce shifters, brakes, and derailleurs - updating the cassette and crank to 10s Centaur (they are due for replacement anyway) or just go 11s. I don’t think the Veloce shifters will last forever, can’t be rebuilt, and can only be replaced with power shift (I’m not going to f* around with finding replacements on eBay - I prefer having a warranty).
Campagnolo sells brand new 10 speed Ultrashift mechanisms for about $90 including everything except brake blade, hood, and mounting hardware.

I'd expect them to last a very long time with the move to the new shift mechanism using a detent ball that rolls over the index notches instead of the G-spring which scrapes and wears.

I figured Record it isn’t that much more than Chorus and may be easier to maintain having bearings in some places rather than bushings, ceramic in the crank, a bit more Ti so it won’t rust as easily… Are the shifters still rebuildable?
Record and Chorus shifters are identical and weigh the same 337g per pair except for graphics and the brake blade cut-outs on Record. No small parts (apart from the plastic cable spool) are available.

1 - Keep 10sp —> Are the shifters reliability a weak link here? Would the front shifting improve with a new Centaur front derailleur in addition to Centaur crank?
You don't specify what your shifting problems are.

Campagnolo and Shimano do a better job with pins, ramps, and down shift zones although my FSA 50-34 Carbon Pro Compact crank ran fine.

2 - Go 11sp —> Is Record longer lasting (reliable/rebuildable) than Chorus?
Nope. The titanium big cogs and carbon fiber front derailleur outer cage will wear out sooner.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 11-28-13 at 01:06 PM.