View Single Post
Old 01-16-14, 09:59 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
There was a Huffy bicycle at the end of a bicycle parking stand out side of the medical school at UTMB Galveston (its right on Galveston Bay) - Only major components of the frame and crank were left - The aluminium wheels and chain powdered remnants on the side walk - No one dared to move it and we often stared at it as a fine piece of art - In 1990 it had been there only 4 years and by 1998 it was completely dissolved and only a rust stain on the side walk - As we transitioned in and out of the school we became like it a myth - Lesson being - That's what happens to metal when bathed in sea mist twice a day...

I also remember the remnants of what appeared to be a 1950's schwinn bicycle chained to a Barbed wire fence in an empty field outside of the old ER in Ft Stockten Tx - The staff said it has been there before the hospital or even the highway had been built (40 yrs?) - That's what happens to metal in South West Texas...

Why am I even writing about this...

I guess a small bit of rust is not a big thing in Ft Stockten Tx but I think I would really chase down clean and seal off as much rust as I could in Galveston...