View Single Post
Old 01-17-14, 05:41 AM
Plimogz
Global Warming Witness

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's worked well for me and I learned about on this fine forum, is running a soapy sponge between rim and tire before inflating. Before doing this and obstructing my view with suds I check all around the wheel on both sides -- pushing in the tire bead towards the middle to make sure the tube is not stuck between tire and rim.

Another simple trick I've picked up to make things easier once inflated is that after tightening the pump head on the valve, I lift the tire off the floor and check the tire for any obviously low spots before any pumping. Then inflate with the tire still off the ground. Otherwise I've found that the weight of the wheel with push down on the tire where it is between rim and floor. By lifting it off the ground as I start inflating the tube, I find that I don't have to deal with this low spot.

Then inflate to desired pressure, if the bead isn't centered, I let out enough air to where I can massage the bead closer to its final position by hand, and after working the tire mostly into position I then inflate to pressure again and pop goes the last low spot. This usually saves me from having to really over inflate to get the bead to pop in the most troublesome spots. And I haven't gotten the tube stuck or twisted when changing tires in the longest time.