View Single Post
Old 02-12-14, 08:55 AM
antokelly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chris Pringle
I would suggest to keep it beautiful and simple, esp. if you already chose a builder. A derailleur drivetrain is super efficient, lighter, simple and a LOT less expensive than a Rohloff IGH. You're also not stuck with a proprietary system that very few people in the world know how to fix, although they seem to be super durable. I would consider a Rohloff IGH maybe if I were going around the world where that type of drivetrain might have some merits. Also, I would only go with a Rohloff-approved builder who has tenths of these under his belt or else you might be in for a disappointment. As mentioned, Rohloff can be tricky to be set up.

If money is not much of a concern:

* Tomii Frame - I like the touch of C&V of Tomii frames with flat top tubes. Is that what you're trying to achieve -- a beautiful C&V look? First time I hear of him, but overall I like his work. His frames look like they are TIG welded. Lugs or fillet would be even more awesome. Some builders can do amazing paint jobs that incorporate faux lugs. Those could be a nice alternative.

* Wheelset - Chris K. nailed it. Velocity for beautiful silver rims. White Industries hubs are gorgeous, roll super smoothly and less expensive than Phil Wood's. But if money is no issue, Phil Wood! I know 650b is becoming more popular, but I really question their usefulness, especially for international touring to various countries due to the lack of replacement tires and parts. 700c or 26" would be my only personal choices for a touring bike.

* Drivetrain - There is nothing more beautiful than Campagnolo, IMHO. Unfortunately, they are not great for touring. I would definitely use their ergo shifters (so comfortable!) for touring in combination with Sram/Shimano drivetrain. There are some tricks to make this combo work because they're not naturally compatible.

* Handlebars are very subjective, but for a classic look and comfort nothing beats Nitto handlebars, esp. the Noodle or Randonneur.

Extras to consider:
* S&S couplers - Take your bike anywhere in the world
* Honjo "hammered" fenders
* Lots of polished silver touches: stem, seat post
* Leather saddle: Brooks, Gilles Berthoud
* Brakes: Paul Components for the best in aesthetics and function when it comes to rim brakes

We did a similar C&V touring build last year. We went with R&E Cycles (AKA Rodriguez Bikes) in Seattle. We settled with 26" wheels due to what I mentioned above (worldwide availability) and so much easier to pack in S&S case for air travel.

this is one serious good looking bike and well speced out super build.
is there any chance of posting more photos ,how did you manage to marry the campag sti withe shimano xt drive train.you,ve restored my faith in 599 wheels