View Single Post
Old 02-22-14, 07:11 AM
Pamtivek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's me the OP, sorry for the delay.

To clarify, it's not like it's explicitly forbidden for me to commute to work, it's just that we wouldn't know exactly how to handle it. It's a new building... we would have to try and figure out where to store the bike, and then what if a bunch of other people decide to follow my example, that would mean a bunch of bikes.... what's the best entrance to use to get to the showers without necessarily going through the whole building in bike gear (it would be a 12 mile commute for me). Those types of questions have to be solved...just a matter of establishing some kind of a procedure

As I said it's really a start-up kind of atmosphere, it's not like I'm trying to battle corporate bureaucracy or anything, it's just that the management never really considered someone would cycle to work...it just wasn't on their minds because they're not into it themselves, and there's no strong cycling culture here like in some places in US or Europe...so it never occurred to them...

On the other hand, I don't want to be too much of a nuisance myself by insisting on it. There's many other things they have to deal with as it is. So what I'm trying to do is to slowly bring them to consider and understand my perspective, to understand why a bunch of people cycling to work would really be good, and the best way to do it is to appeal to their silicon valley self-image.

In that sense, mstraus, rms13, commutecomando, and Drew, thanks for your stories. I'll forward the digest to my boss