Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,544 Times in 1,051 Posts
Originally Posted by John C. Ratliff
Something like this:

Note that falling off a bike would be an occasional happening, so the frequency would be "Occasional," with a Liklihood rating of 3. The Severity rating would be either a 3 or 4 (with the potential of disability of greater than 3 months, a permanent disability, or death). This gets a "High" or "Serious" rating, with the designation "Operations not Permissible" or "High Priority Remedial Action." For bicycling, training, equipping the bike correctly, fitting it, and PPE (helmet) are indicated.

I'll go into Howsteepitis' question later.

John
Baloney.

First. Every "falling off a bike" event does not result in the head striking an object. The likelihood probability of falling off a bike has to multiplied by the probability of striking the head against a hard object. And that probability has to be multiplied by the probability that the head strikes an object with enough force to cause injury. Far less than your exaggerated probability of occasionally.

Second, in the remote to improbable chance that a cyclist falls off a bike AND strikes the head, the likelihood that such a strike will create an injury with greater severity than marginal or negligible is even more remote or improbable.

Third, recommending (or expecting that) a bicycle helmet will "control" or reduce the injury severity of an event capable of causing catastrophic or critical head injuries to marginal or negligible is ridiculous and is dependent on this "control" performing far beyond its design limitation and specifications.