Old 03-25-14, 11:30 AM
dmcg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MattFoley
You've mentioned this several times, but I'm not sure why it's relevant.

Thanks. Definitely on the agenda.

What?

Starting and Stopping
From your link:

Originally Posted by Sheldon Brown
[h=3]Correct Basic Starting Technique[/h] Stand astride the frame, both feet on the ground. Most people get to this position by swinging a leg over the saddle, but if you have low handlebars, you can do it over the bars as well. If you have a "lady's" bike or other bike with a low frame, you may be able to lift your foot over the frame. It sometimes helps to lean the bike to the side before straddling it.
I can't stand with both feet flat on the ground if I have a bike that is too tall for me without leaning it way over. Which seems to be the preferred starting method for at least some of the people in this thread. That's fine if you're starting once and then riding 20 miles without putting your feet on the ground, but if you are going to be starting and stopping all the time it seems less than ideal. I figure most of those people are trying to optimize for riding the bike, while I'm trying to optimize for starting and stopping, and am willing to take a bit of a hit on riding comfort if it makes starting easier.

BTW, the starting technique in the video is pretty much exactly how I do it on my BMX. On the mtn bike I have a bit more trouble doing the same thing, not sure exactly why, my only guess is because I'm standing farther forward and so I can't put the same force down on the pedal as I can when I'm straight above the axle.