View Single Post
Old 04-07-14, 07:39 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast, 1997 Bianchi Advantage, 1994 Trek 930.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Yesterday, I was volunteering at the Milwaukee Bike Expo for a local bike club. The bike shop sponsoring the event offered trade ins for old bikes. Unbelievable the bounty of nice old C & V road bikes, hardtail mountain bikes, and hybrids people were walking into the show for trade in in pristine condition. Many looked like they had been ridden just a few times before getting hung up in a suburban garage or basement for a decade or two. Had I known, I might have brought $100 or so in cash with me and made an offer.

Many of these bikes would be perfect for use as a commuter. I know Craigslist is filled with flippers, but just know nice bikes are out there sitting in people's garages and basements. Talk to people you know. While, no doubt, most people will have a crappy Wal Mart bike rusting out, someone you know might have something worthwhile. Or go to a local bike shop and see what they have. Though you will overpay at a LBS for a used bike, hopefully, they can at least sell you a bike that is tuned up and good to go at or under your $300 budget.

Or stretch the budget a little and get a decent new bike for $400 to $600.

Last edited by MRT2; 04-07-14 at 07:45 AM.