View Single Post
Old 04-07-14, 10:05 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2509 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 34 Posts
I had great luck with an early version Denali, which for the most part had exactly the same low-end components you'd like find on any inexpensive entry-level bike. Over 20,000 miles on it, and I still use it for my fowl-weather bike. It's about 5 years old now. I consider it to be a hybrid as opposed to a road bike, because of the mountain bike drive train and its ability to use at least 32mm wheels.

You would need some mechanical experience or else good native mechanical ability to keep that bike in shape.

As to specifics, the biggest drawback is the weight (32 pounds total), an issue if you anticipate hills or racing. The frame is 4.5 pounds, similar to other heavy inexpensive frames. The fork is heavy, the handlebar is heavy, there are no other issues with those components. I'm not thrilled with the grip shifters, if the particular model comes with them. That's about it. If someone tells you it's impossible to work on it means that they can't adjust Shimano Tourney derailleurs or entry level caliper brakes. Or they simply don't know what they're talking about.