View Single Post
Old 04-27-14, 05:42 AM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 193 Posts
Originally Posted by jmeb
GOT: A recently picked up an 1983 Miyata 912. Double butted miyata CrMo. 60cm, 56.5 top-tube (per Miyata Catalogs). Paint isn't great, definitely a rider not a collector. Available as a frameset & headset & seatpost OR with additional odds and ends. (Including a higher end wheelset than I need: Superbe Pro hubs laced to Mavic OPEN 4CDs). Prefer local exchange in the front range of Colorado but can be talked into shipping.

LOOKING:
Option 1) Something of similar quality, 59-62cm and less aggressive geometry. (The 912 is 73/74). Plan is for a more upright townie which the 912 isn't ideally suited for.
Option 2) Something of similar quality, 53-56cm. To build a commuter for the better half. Vintage high-end rigid MTBs cool too.

I reread this today and the geometry of this Miyata is favorable to a less aggressive bike. Before you trade it away, I would highly suggest swapping the stem out with a Nitto high rise road stem with 70 to 80mm of reach and a Nitto noodle bar for good measure, you may find it changes the ride dramatically for the better. A 56.5 cm TT on a 60 cm frame is about as non aggressive as you can get.