Old 05-10-14, 07:14 PM
steve_cay

Bikes: 2013 Trek 8.4 DS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I have had a road bike since I was a teenager, and just got a "Dual Sport" hybrid (Trek DS).

I find:
- I like getting out in the woods, the hybrid is much more appropriate for such use!
- The more upright position and wider hand stance is more comfortable for me. For longer journeys the more efficient position of a road bike would probably win out.
- Upright position has you naturaly looking more straight ahead, rather than at the road below you.
- Much smoother (with my wider tires, and front suspension), on the road and off.
- You can actually use the brakes in the upright position!

The way I bike, I really don't notice a big difference in speed and efficiency between my road and hybrid bike.

For liesure, exercise, dirt trails, and trying to not leave my family in the dust, I prefer my hybrid ... a more pleasurable experience!

If I were trying to keep up with a strong group, doing timed runs, going on full day road trips, or taking myself much more seriously in biking culture ... I would reach for the road bike. I don't do those things, and don't think I will be using my road bike much anymore

I was often told I could never enjoy a hybrid (especially a more trail oriented one) coming from a road bike, not the case! Different strokes for different folks!

Last edited by steve_cay; 05-10-14 at 07:28 PM.