View Single Post
Old 05-16-14, 05:26 AM
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Nothing beats Real Food.

One of my favourites is Salted Almonds.
Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Nuts, almonds, dry roasted, with salt added
Protein
Fat
Some carbohydrates
A few vitamins
Lots and lots of minerals ... you've got your electrolytes covered with salted almonds.

Another good choice are Dried Apricots.
Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Apricots, dried, sulfured, uncooked
Carbohydrates
A few vitamins
Several minerals but especially potassium which is one of the electrolytes.
Bananas are good too, but the dried apricots have more potassium.
Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Bananas, raw
We could quibble on the specifics -- but I completely agree on the overall point here.

As Nutrilogic agrees, supplements should be supplements.

For myself:

I take CoQ10 to compensate for its depletion caused by taking statin. But, I found that the typical doses of that supplement were too low. I had to take 200 mg twice daily to get enough and keep enough in my system to have the strength I needed. But for the last 6 months I have not been taking the statin and, depending on what my cardiologist says, may stop it permanently. If I do, then I will evaluate the CoQ10 to replace age related deficiencies (I am 63).

Also, I take vitamin D3 to compensate for both low dietary intake as well as low blood levels of that vitamin.

Finally, I take a multi-vitamin with minerals as a general insurance policy. But, frankly I am not too fussy about which one I take -- I look at them more as a generic commodity rather than some miracle drug...