Old 05-23-14, 09:09 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by dubes
Robert (rpenmanparker), thanks for the steel wool suggestion. Gives me the opportunity to feel like I'm doing something, even if it's just a placebo.

And contango, thanks, I hadn't thought about how even a broken spoke would be held in place by its neighbors. May not need that hypnotist, after all. (Although krobinson, you're not helping! Joking aside, was this a high spoke count wheel?)

Mike
Keep in mind (everyone) that a spoke being held in place by its neighbors doesn't mean it is functional after breaking, just that it might not flop around. Lately I have been reading a few posts about people not knowing they have broken spokes and riding like that for a long time. Wut? I've broken a lot of spokes over 30+ years of active cycling. I knew immediately each and every time it happened. And every time I had to adjust the brake clearance and adjacent spokes to get home. I can't imagine how sloppy a road bike would have to be adjusted to mask a broken spoke, high spoke count or otherwise.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...