Old 05-31-14, 02:02 PM
enator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Torn - Kestrel Evoke 3.0 w/ 105, or Motobecane Sprint CF Pro w/ Ultegra?

Hey, so I'm torn between two road bikes and was hoping to get your input. A little background... I have a commuter single speed already, so this bike will be primarily used for exercise, possibly a little racing, and some longer rides. I realize that if I get into racing, I'll probably be getting a racing specific bike, so for now I'm fine with either of these not being top of the line race specific, as long as they'll work and won't put me at an insane disadvantage. I'm 6'1 or 6'2 with long legs and arms.

First, the Motobecane: Save Up To 60% Off Shimano Ultegra Full Carbon Road Bikes- Motobecane Sprint CF PRO
I like that it's Ultegra and has slightly better cranks than the Kestrel. I would probably go with a 58 for a more responsive bike if I was going to get into racing. From what I understand, I can get a longer stem or different seat post for a better fit if it's too small.

And the Kestrel: Save Up to 60% Off Shimano 105 equipped Carbon Road Bikes - NEW Kestrel Evoke Road Bicycles with Shimano 105 group | Save up to 60% off List prices
I think the Kestrel has a slightly nicer frame, but to be honest I don't really know. It also is 105 instead of Ultegra, which supposedly isn't a huge difference. Otherwise, the components don't seem too different. I would go with a 59.

I'll also throw this in out of left field. It's kind of a mix of the two bikes with what I think is a more aggressive frame and nicer cranks:
Save Up to 60% Off Shimano Carbon Road Bikes, Roadbikes - 2013 Motobecane Immortal Pro

The cost difference for me is negligible. I'm even comfortable spending a few hundred more, but these two seemed like good buys and I'll probably be buying new pedals and a saddle too. I know how to work on bikes, so buying online is fine. I'm also fine with buying from BD - I bought a cheaper sora level bike from them a few years ago for a triathlon and had no issues with it.