Old 07-03-14, 02:20 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
If you have oil on your discs or pads you need to get rid of it. After that's gone most of the squeal should disappear.
If you think that's going to get rid of squeal in the rain, that's about as effective as using a lucky rabbit's foot or dosing your bike in holy water.

[/QUOTE]Although with my mtb i have noticed that swamp water does make the brakes noisy again. Then i just heat them on some descent and dry 'em out. Normal water does not seem to cause problems for me.[/QUOTE]

Definitely does for me - sometimes it goes away when they get dry again. Sometimes not.

Originally Posted by elcruxio
and companies most likely do clean the discs and pads prior to shipping. It would be bad business to ship out badly working brakes (looking at you avid hydraulic division). But there are also many places a disc can get oiled from. Road surface can be one, or oiling your chain, or any one of a myriad of reasons. Luckily the cure is so simple.

btw. The pads cannot be cleaned with degreaser. They need to be baked. If you just clean both the pad will just transmit the oil back on the disc since the pad sucks oil like a sponge. Burning it off by baking is by far the best solution.
Ok. Even if this was the case, it's still very annoying and something I don't need to do with rim brakes. If it just needed to be done once, I would think manufacturers would do it. Don't have the time to do it after every time it rains or they get wet.