rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13717 Post(s)
Liked 4,531 Times in 2,507 Posts
Originally Posted by RPK79
They canceled the only organized ride I was planning on participating in this year the MN Major: River to River Ride so Saturday I decided (last minute) to ride it solo. I altered the route slightly to just leave from my home instead of the apple orchard it normally leaves from. Around the 50 mile mark I started to think I wrote my cue sheet down wrong so I turned around and rode back to connect with where my route was heading. Turns out my turn was about 5 miles ahead of where I gave up on it. So, my ride got cut short by 10-15 miles, but with the additional miles caused by leaving from home I still kept it over 100k (70.8 miles).

I was out of Skratch Labs so I picked up a Gatorade and cut it 50/50 with water. That stuff is still way to sweet even diluted down that much. I also didn't have anything on hand to munch on while I was riding so using knowledge gleaned from Addiction @Heathpack) I picked up a package of figgies to munch along the way. I still probably should have stopped for lunch in Afton before the 3 "big" "climbs" because my legs were about toast by the time I got done with them. Luckily it's just 15 miles or so from that point back home so no big deal.

My Garmin said 4600 feet of climbing and Strava tells me 2900 feet. I don't know which to believe, but I thought it was a lot of climbing until I saw the rides being posted by people I follow on Strava. One guy I ride with did a 8 person group ride in Western WI that consisted of 4k feet of climbing over 73 miles, which is comparable to what I did except they did it at 4mph faster than me... Must be nice to have people to draft off of! Then of course @Heathpack posted her ride. Show off!

Was a good ride. I'll have to do it again and keep going for the correct turn off point at the 50 mile mark. Maybe save something in the tank so I can tack on a few miles and make it a century ride.
Nice.