Old 08-10-14, 02:01 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5790 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
While we tend to think of all canti brakes having cable response similar to road calipers, this isn't true. It varies within a range brand/model to brand. It also changes with the length of the yoke (crossover) cable and distance from shoe to pivot.

I'm not a fan of the link systems that run the main cable to the brake, and prefer the traditional arm to arm yoke, with the main cable ending at the carrier. This gives you maximum freedom to adjust leverage and travel response to your needs and tastes.

Also the horizontal distance from the pivot to rim factors into this, and sometimes it can be necessary to space the shoe inboard on the brake to have it make contact on the rim before the brake arm passes top dead center (12 o'clock).

I can't help you beyond this because I don't know enough specific info, but if you can get it to work decently, a photo showing the brake arm and shoe in contact with the rim (one side only taken from side so the arm angle shows) will be a big help.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 08-10-14 at 02:35 PM.