Old 09-05-14, 12:17 PM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RhythmRider View Post
I used Power Grips (straps) on my pedals and became quite used to them. Recently a friend enthusiastically extolled the greatness of clip less pedals. I wasn't ready to fully commit so I purchased Shimano's PD-A530 hybrid pedal...half platform, half clip less. Bought some MTB shoes and a pedal wrench!

Today was my first ride with the new set-up....I went to the Jones Beach Greenway...18 miles from Cedar Creek Park to Tobay Beach. No crashes! I liked being locked into the pedal although I'm not too sure about the benefits of the upstroke.

Even though the cleat is "recessed", I still notice the cleat crunching the ground as I walk! Who knows, maybe I'll get a fully clip less set-up down the road.
The cleats on my shoes (spd) also crunch the ground, but that doesn't seem to cause them any harm. I've got a four year old pair of Shimano shoes that are still in good shape and I've walked a fair bit in them.

I honestly have no idea if I get more power riding with clipless or not, but I actually feel much safer and in better control of the bike when I'm clipped in. Once you get used to it, unclipping is completely automatic and doesn't present any increased risk.