View Single Post
Old 09-08-14, 05:06 AM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
I agree with Andrew that the cause is likely something other than what you discovered. The fact that you found a problem with the retainer ring does not mean that it has anything to do with the click. There has to be a mechanical link between a symptom and a possible cause, and there is not in this case. A bearing retainer does nothing but hold the balls a distance away from each other and ease assembly. It is under absolutely no stress once the bearing is assembled. The tabs could all magically disappear and the bearings would be unaffected, as the cup and cone are holding the bearings in place at that point. Further, the balls rotate between the cup and cone, causing the retainer to rotate, so any one point of the retainer is moving at all times. That makes a click that coincides with crank revolutions not a likely link to the retainer.

I have seen quite a few recent posts where BB clicks are presumed to originate with the BB bearing. That may be due to confusion related to BB types, as the more recent external bearings have different points of stress, and the bearing interfaces with the frame may indeed cause clicking. That's not true for traditional cup and cone. I won't say clicking is never related to the bearing itself in cup/cone, but other causes should be investigated first. Usually bearing problems are a lower pitch, and felt as well as heard.