Old 09-24-14, 08:41 AM
bruised

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease Carbon, Sette Razzo Carbon 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by valygrl View Post
COngratulations on our weight loss - impressive!

I just skimmed the rest of the resopnses, but I would steer you in a different direction.

Base miles in winter in a true cold and snowy climate, for someone who isn't fully committed to gearing up for long cold rides, is unrealistic. A different approach would be to maximize the effectiveness of indoor training.

Get a trainer to put your bike on, and a subscription to TrainerRoad. Before you buy the trainer, look at the list on TrainerRoad's web site, and pick one that is compatible with their program. TrainerRoad is a web based program that turns your trainer, plus computer, plus a small cheap ANT+ stick into an indoor training studio. The subscription is $10/month comes with a whole menu of training plans. You ride your trainer indoors in front of your TV. You can watch Netflix or Hulu while you train, or use videos like The Sufferfest that link with TrainerRoad. It's a way to make your indoor training less boring and more organized.
Thanks Valygrl.
Base miles in winter in a true cold and snowy climate, for someone who isn't fully committed to gearing up for long cold rides, is unrealistic. - This is my thought exactly. But I'm going to give it my best shot. Certainly if I commit to the expense of a Fat Bike, that's going to be an incentive to get out and use it (my wife will see to that!)
I do have one of those trainers things that straps onto the back wheel, but I hate it. It needs a bigger flywheel as the pedaling motion is too jerky. I may have to look into other options and I appreciate your TrainerRoad suggestion which I will check out.

Thanks again, everyone.