Old 09-24-14, 10:28 AM
bruised

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease Carbon, Sette Razzo Carbon 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post
As a fellow Brit I am pretty clueless about Wisconsin winters. I know the fat bike will make it practicable (and a lot of fun) to ride in snow, but I'm unfamilar with the physiological impact of riding for extended periods in such cold temperatures. I assume, however, that it's more sustainable at lowish intensities than high ones. If that's right, and you can afford to ride 5-6 hours per week, I'd suggest a couple of two hour rides and one or two shorter ones, rather than five or six one-hour rides. That'll be a bit better in terms of base-building. But do what you can. The fact that something isn't ideal doesn't mean it isn't useful.
Yes, this: I assume, however, that it's more sustainable at lowish intensities than high ones.

The one time I tried XC Skiing was on a 35 below day (with the wind chill factor). Any moisture on your face (lips and nose) freezes and becomes sore. Your lips crack. Your gums ache so bad from the cold that it quickly becomes hard to bear. (not unbearable, but hard ).
When you do anything at higher intensity, then move to a lower intensity, you very quickly become cold. Winter clothing helps, but there's no way for the clothing to regulate your body temp and keep it satisfactory for both high and low intensity efforts . You're either too warm, whereupon you sweat and become very cold when slowing down, or you're too cold to begin with and can never warm up.

Of course this is mostly due to my not having been born and raised into these conditions. Locals tell me to man-up and stop being a feline

I maintain that the key is to not end up looking like this -