Thread: Bikes we like
View Single Post
Old 09-24-14, 11:56 AM
smallwheeler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Originally Posted by mconlonx View Post
Love the style of this bike, super-clean, classic build, but...

- clever placement of shifter, but unsure why it's not further up the stem, on the bars, or at the bar end. Seems like form over function.

- rear brake cable routing from the bottom keeps things looking clean, but experience says it will retain water and rust cable/housing.
thanks, mconlonx. i love this bike a little more every time i ride it.

you're partly right about the shifter placement- it's current location is probably the "best looking" place for it, but since shifting is only done occasionally, it's also not really a compromise in efficiency either. it works.

you are probably right about the cable housing collecting water over time, but how else would you do it? in an "s" curve down the top tube, up the seat tube, then back down the seat stay? that would be pretty ugly and surely elicit a "horrible cable routing" response from dynaryder...

i am open to any suggestions.

also, i toyed with the idea of adding a top tube to this bike, but i'm glad i didn't do that. structurally, it really doesn't need it. aesthetically, well, it would just be a different bike.

a couple of months ago i sketched up a few ideas for a 349mm diamond frame bike. i'm currently talking to a frame builder about it, but i would love to hear any suggestions from you and others.

thanks.