View Single Post
Old 09-25-14, 10:07 AM
smallwheeler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx View Post
Again, totally classy looking bike, very elegant build.

I hear you on the shifter. Is that a 3sp out back? In that case, makes a lot of sense.
yes, it's a brompton wide range SA hub.

And yes, no elegant way to route the cable/housing which would not cause the issue I mentioned. Best I can think of on that bike would be some kind of housing stop/pulley off the seatpost/seatpost clamp/seat tube, and a centerpull brake... but which would still result in a potential place for water to pool and rust things, and would look way kludgier, less elegant. A coaster brake hub would certainly clean things up...
regarding the brake placement. now that bhyke has reminded me of my previous attempt of mounting to the chainstay, i'm going to try that again. i think that is going to be the best solution.

For the custom design you illustrate, I'd be tempted to do one of three things:
- radically sloped tt going up way nearer to the stem area and resultant long headtube, more like the geo on some Dahon models like the Dash, Bullhead, Smooth Hound, etc.
- semi-truss frame like Tyrell -- seatstays going up to the top of the ht, seat tube sloping down to the ht/dt juncture.
- triple triangle, with the seat stays extending to the tt a few inches forward of the st.
some of what you're describing sounds similar to the idea i had for a 451 bike.