View Single Post
Old 09-28-14, 05:22 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
This thread is quite extraordinary. Carbon squishy? Carbon offering responsiveness that steel cannot match? Carbon stiffer than steel? Custom builds are a crap shoot?

None of these generalisations are correct. i have steel bikes that are phenomenally stiff, at the expense of being somewhat heavy. I have a carbon bike (Giant TCR) that is plenty stiff. The "responsiveness" of these bikes is governed by their geometry, not their frame material. I have a custom steel bike - columbus spirit frame, carbon forks - that is light and fast, handles better than my TCR, and is a little less stiff.

A decent framebuilder will build you a steel bike that offers the stiffness (or lack of it) and other characteristics that you want. But it sounds as if the issue here is not frame material, but merely finding a bike that you like.
I think you are being a bit harsh regarding some understandable rhetorical shortcuts. Sure steel can be made as stiff as desired, but at what weight and comfort penalties. And we have already established that OP doesn't understand the meaning of responsiveness or at least isn't clarifying what he means by it. Finally you don't have to spend much time here to read the many posts about custom frames gone wrong. Not saying it is a failing of the builder necessarily. It could easily be just a faiilure of communication. What you have observed in this thread should convince you of this possibility.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...