Old 10-01-14, 11:49 AM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by RollCNY

I guess I always view the "Share the Road" signs as not meant exclusively for cars, but for both cars and cyclists and every vehicle on the road. There seem to be many posts about rights, and entitlements, and "taking". It would seem like a reasonable consensus of expectations is a far simpler way for the tiny minority (cyclists) to coexist with the vast majority (car drivers).

I am also amazed at how cavalier the A&S crowd seems to be on running stop signs and stop lights. They seem to be pretty simple devices to understand, and the law seems to be fairly clear on them. That must put me in a minority of the minority.
Good on you for understanding what a stop sign means. Too bad you don't understand the equally simple "Share the Road" signs. I guess this will be easier for you when your local jurisdiction replaces them with "Cyclists May Use Full Lane", which is what is currently being put up since so many people have trouble understanding the StR version.

Here's what "Share the Road" signs mean: This road's right, and likely only, lane is too narrow for a car and bike to safely operate side-by-side. Therefore, motorists are to wait until it is clear to change lanes before passing any cyclists they may encounter. Cyclists are also permitted and encouraged to ride in such a manner as to discourage unsafe in-lane passing by motorists.

Yes, that means share the road is NOT the same as share the lane. In fact, where such a sign is put up it means the opposite of share the lane.