Thread: Polar vortex
View Single Post
Old 11-10-14, 03:18 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Corben
It sounds more serious and deadly and I suppose they're right because of the Solar Minimum the sun is going through right now, winters will become more severe and the polar air effects more of the planet. Every eleven yrs the sun goes through these solar minimums.

Not sure if serious... The sun just passed its 11 year solar MAXIMUM. We've got roughly 5-6 years until we reach a minimum again. Admittedly, this cycle has been extremely weak, but that doesn't change the fact that we just passed the maximum.

Not to mention the sunspot we had last month was one of the biggest seen in a while (or something like that.) It was visible to the naked eye (with a filter.) I saw it during the eclipse here in MT.

As for all the climate change talk... The climate IS changing. It would be changing whether humans were here or not. Turns out the earth goes through very very long stages, including ice ages. The amount of CO2 and H2O in the atmosphere is increasing, therefore warming the planet, but it was increasing BEFORE we got here. Sure, we've sped it up a bit, but that doesn't mean we're causing the earth to do something it can't handle and that everything will die yada yada. Arguing that there is NO climate change is stupid, arguing that the climate change that we're currently going through is going to somehow be catastrophic and kill everyone is also stupid. (Exaggerating, but you get my point.)

Many of the articles that I read on climate change put it in a huge negative connotation that attempts to make everyone scared. It's fear mongering and also untrue. The earth will not change enough to make it unsuitable for humans in any reasonable amount of time. We (humans) will probably have been long gone by then. (Whether to space, or dead, I do not know.)

Oh and on topic. Yes, I did ride through the 10F and 4 inches of snow we got last night. How else was I supposed to test my pogies and studded tires?

Last edited by corrado33; 11-10-14 at 03:31 PM.