Old 12-02-14, 11:10 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yankeefan
I assembled my BD bike with the help of youtube, but I would not say it was simple by any means, especially for someone doing it for the first time. Not to mention that the OP probably doesn't have the necessary tools to do the job properly: hex keys, chain whip, lock ring remover, spoke wrench, truing stand, BB tool, etc... I bought all these stuff (~ $200 extra) mainly because NYC bike shops charge a premium to assemble a BD bike (I called around and ask), and even after assembling it they charge you for subsequent tune-ups. I decided to buy the tools when it became clear to me that owning a BD bike meant I'll have to do my own tune-ups. If you do go the Bikes Direct (BD) route I'd recommend having it professionally assembled...as long as you're not taking it to a NYC bike shop it shouldn't cost more than $50-70.
I've bought a bike from bikes direct. I had never assembled a bike before. Sure, I had allen wrenches, but I didn't have a chain whip, or truing stand. My wheels came perfectly true luckily. Even if they didn't, you can easily flip the bike over and use the fork as a truing stand. Wheels don't need to be 100% perfectly true. A spoke wrench is a few bucks at the LBS (and youtube videos are free), as well as a pedal wrench. You don't NEED anything else. Sure, it's RECOMMENDED, but it's not necessary. Like people said above, the bike comes 85% assembled. All you have to do is put the handlebars and possibly cranks on and you're good. I doubt if you took all the bearings apart on a BD bike you'd find them under lubed. Sure, you may want to replace the lube and repack the bearing, but again, not necessary.

Honestly OP, do yourself a favor. Learn to work on bikes and buy the recommended tools. You'll thank us later. I initially bought myself an app on my phone that showed videos on how to fix common problems. It was useful for about a month. Then you realize that bikes are really... really... simple. The only thing I haven't done is trued a wheel. Other than that, I've entirely rebuilt 3-4 bikes in my garage with no problems. That includes repacking bearings where needed. It's all nuts and bolts. It's not like a car where if you break one sensor you're going to be out multi hundreds of dollars. I'd even go so far to say it's difficult to break things permanently on a bike when working on them. Even if you screw something up, the LBS is generally right down the street to help you out.