Old 12-22-14, 03:14 PM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by avidone1
Seeing what others on this 50+ are riding is making me feel a little lame for getting a comfort hybrid. Oh well, I need to build up my stamina and strength some more before considering a faster ride, so for now i'm satisfied.
Nothing lame about that at all! A hybrid may be more appropriate than a road bike in a number of circumstances. And if you get to the place where you want to expand your riding it's easy to add another bike when the time is right.

As to the pain you are feeling, you should first make sure that you've got the saddle height at an appropriate level and start out with the saddle itself perfectly level. You can try varying the angle (nose up or down) very slightly to see if either works for you.

It's possible that you are best off getting a new saddle. It's quite possible that this one is too plush and winds up creating pain on longer rides. If adjusting the saddle doesn't bring you any relief, try out some new saddles. I'd recommend going to a local bike shop and explaining where you're at. In my experience most will let you return a saddle after a trial period as long as you don't damage it and this will allow you to try things risk free. You might find that one of the anatomical saddles on the market work wonders, but it's hard to predict as everyone's anatomy and riding style is slightly different.

For what it's worth, on my touring bike I found that I couldn't endure long rides until I tried out a Brooks B17. But it's expensive, and while popular, certainly not universally loved.