View Single Post
Old 01-23-15, 05:37 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
Prisma was the stuff I WAS using, the new stuff is made in the UK and it's called Fibracol:

Amazon.com: Fibracol Plus Collagen Wound Dressing With Alginate /4 in. x 4.375 in.: Health & Personal Care

It's like 10x more effective than Prisma was. I can only tolerate it on that wound for 12-40 hours, (it dries out the area so much it gets painful for me) but that drying process is kind of what you need for wounds to heal. I saw astonishing improvement using it for just a few days.

It says Johnson & Johnson on the package, but it's a Brit pharma firm that makes it. Glad these guys knew about it, the wound treatment guys at my clinic never heard of it. I'm telling you, WHERE you go can make a huge difference in outcome. Essentially my attending physician was great, his vascular surgery expertise addressed the underlying cause of these wounds I have, but this last wound needed somebody with better knowledge of actual wound healing, which I found at a different clinic. I hope they look into Fibrcol and start using it and the wound treatment place I go to. No plans to change doctors, I like my guy a lot, and his surgery really improved my leg.

Sometimes you just gotta do your own research and take some initiative, even if it's just to get another set of eyes on the problem, that can make all the difference. This time that was the case.

Hopefully I get back on the bike, lose 20-25 lbs and I don't have any circulation or venous stasis wound issues for at least a decade or so.
Your self starting and initiative are admirable. Our relationship with our physicians is so weird. We need to have faith in them, yet it can't be blind. We have to believe in them yet also think for ourselves. This is not an easy thing to master. Good job on your part, and I'm so glad for your improvement. Now just get out there are ride!

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...