View Single Post
Old 02-16-15, 06:35 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by dherzfeld
I've just completed the cutting of my carbon steerer tube on my new build Lynskey. I had to cut it twice (measure once, cut twice?) because I didn't include space for the expander insert that came with the fork (nor did the instruction sheet mention that fact). Once that was done (both times in fact), I hit the cut area with some fine sandpaper very lightly just to smooth out the edges. I also added a bead of superglue on the cut surface to keep all the fibers together and prevent fraying. A new fine tooth hacksaw blade makes short work of a carbon tube. My local shop actually has a high quality mechanic that can do this work, but following Rule 58, I prefer to do all my own work. I buy tubes, bar tape, gel packs and such from those guys.
Yeah, that is the kind of expander insert that has the lip that sits on top of the cut steerer edge. Glad you got it all straightened away.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...