View Single Post
Old 03-05-15, 03:12 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by UnfilteredDregs
Yeah, it is what it is, I can ride the bike so aggravation is minimal at this point. You bring up a good point, what is their actual in-house spec? What exactly does BB86 mean in terms of what is acceptable conformance to the specification? I'd think at least being ROUND ought to be a minimum.

I've been speaking with a custom builder on another matter...... and he said, "Usually distortion happens from welding but is then corrected during post weld machining.."
Yeah, I should say before we go any further that I wasn't being snarky about, "if that suits your personality." I realized after the fact that might have sounded a little pissy. I just meant that some folks could stand the aggravation of the imperfect bike better, and other could stand the aggravation of trying to get it replaced better. Sorry if it came across wrong.

Back on topic, I think round would be a minimum requirement, at least within a couple of thousandths of an inch. But who knows? I wonder when you press the bearings into that shell whether it deforms them (and perhaps the shell too) to make a seal all the way around touching the shell? Or can you still see daylight?

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...