Old 04-02-15, 01:42 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by sam_cyclist
WTF??? On my last road bike with dual calipers, they required zero maintenance! Set it and forget it! No mineral oil required, no bleeding, no changing of the pads. I rode that road bike for a decade with original pads and the pads never wore out.

Seriously, you are losing touch with reality. Bicycles, by definition, have two wheels. These wheels typically have rims. Rims are necessary for the bike to roll, lol. When a rim rolls, the bike moves forward.

BTW, you may want to check the thread title again. The topic is road discs, not mtb discs.

Well, you are seriously lacking in facts there, my friend. Feel free to post the "weight savings" real or imagined from rims on disc brake bikes.

Define "performance." Any rim brake can be locked up with a very small amount of leverage and force at the lever. If you're going to pull the "discs have superior modulation," then PROVE IT. SHOW THE DATA. Ah, you don't have it. How convenient! This is simply your SUBJECTIVE BIAS with ZERO OBJECTIVE EVIDENCE to back it up.

Brilliant argument. Racers are all about having "nicer stuff" to do "stuff" with. Good stuff.

You have no argument here.

Do you have any data to show that disc brakes have more stopping power? No, you do not. Disc and rim brakes lock up easily.

Do you have any data to show that disc brakes offer "superior modulation?": No, you do not. You have no objective evidence of any kind. All you have is your subjective opinion, ie disc brakes are "nice stuff" that you can "do stuff with."

The bottom line is you have no data, not a single shred of evidence to support any of your pseudo-arguments with.
You seem to be pretty big on the whole data thing.
Tell me this.
Where's the data that shows that 11 speed cassettes are faster than 10 speed cassettes?
OR
that electronic shifting is faster than cables.
OR
compact bars are faster than traditional bars.

That's right. There isn't any data for that because none of that was for speed. Just as brakes aren't really for speed. Aerodynamics is for speed, but if you don't care about aero then whatever. I personally care about reliability and fun (rim brakes aren't fun, especially when it's not warm and sunny)

It wouldn't actually be that difficult to test modulation for brakes. You'd just need some power meter thingies and a set of rubber bands and a treadmill. I don't have those so I'll leave all that to others.
But I can say this. Unlike you, I have tried all kinds of discs and all kinds of rim brakes. I prefer discs for their feel. That is subjective yes, but so is tire choices. If it didn't matter, everyone would ride schwalbe duranos. Everyone doesn't so from that you can actually deduce that tire feel does actually matter somewhat. As does brake feel or we would all use sora brakes in our bikes. There wouldn't be a market for the higher end if feel didn't matter.

Also, I said there was potential for lighter rims with discs. Not sure if they've made them yet, but I had the impression that some makers are at least developing disc specific road rims with better aerodynamics and less weight. And as you must know, weight off the rim and onto the bike is actually a plus. Also aerodynamics of the wheel is more important than the aerodynamics of the frame where the calipers are mounted.

Discs for MTB and discs for road are not so different as to stop comparison between the two. I can easily draw conclusions from shimano and avid brake lines on the MTB side to the road side since both use essentially the same technology on both riding disciplines.

So uhh. You rode a set of brakes without even changing the cables or pads once for over a decade? That must have been fun... It's not something I would do simply due to safety reasons but each to their own I guess.

And next time you request data, try to offer some as well. The argument "BOTH STOP EASY DURR!" is on the level of comparing the rubber foot pressing on the tire brake against all others. IT STOPS EASY DURR!