Old 04-04-15, 04:32 PM
Relaxin 

Bikes: 1987 Trek 1000, 2012 Specialized Allez Elite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What do you use to preserve your tires?

I don't get to ride my bike as often as I'd like. As a result my tires have been installed for over a year because the tread is still good. However I've noticed that the tires have slowly deteriorated. A thin even layer has been flaking off the surface of my tires. If I rub my gloves over the surface to clean sticking debris I have to clean my gloves of a red dust from the flaking. I have Michelin Pro4 Endurance tires on now which I didn't think would deteriorate like this. I've never had this problems like this with any of my tires while living in Missouri but now that I live in Hawaii I'm guessing that the environment isn't very kind to materials exposed to the elements. Is it the salty environment out here causing the damage to my tires? Is it some sort of dry rot? Or did I just happen to buy a crappy set of tires that I shouldn't expect to last more than a few of months? Anyone else have this problem with this brand/model of tire? Most importantly is there anything I can coat the tires with to prevent this kind of damage?

Michelin Pro4 Endurance Tires Slideshow by Relaxin | Photobucket

Last edited by Relaxin; 04-04-15 at 04:38 PM.