View Single Post
Old 05-02-15, 08:33 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr IGH
"Internet chatter", LOL. One thing you can be proud of is that neither you or Josbt knows what superposition is or how to apply it to real world engineering tasks, ironic!
You are right. I am not an engineer and have only encountered the technological use of the term "superposition" in a different context. That would be the varying of one parameter that is convenient to work with to produce effects in a body that can be attributed to a different less convenient variable. For example accelerated aging of materials is an example of time-temperature superposition and uses higher temperature to speed up the aging process. Or it could use higher oxygen pressure to similarly accelerate the aging. Having only a scientist's acquaintance with engineering, I mistakenly assumed that was what you were referring to.

But getting back to the nitty gritty of this discussion you cannot discredit Brandt's position by a "he said, he said" argument. If you want to challenge his teaching on the basis of its lack of factual support, you have to bring forward your own details. You can't reasonably call him out for showing no evidence on the basis of your doing exactly the same thing. I am open to considering your argument, but you have to show it to me. And saying that some other unnamed engineer agrees with you just doesn't cut it. Either you make the argument or you don't. In the absence of a better representation of your position, a well-regarded authority like Brandt has to win. And the fact that he can frequently be a pompous ass really doesn't nullify his technical achievements. In the scientific publishing community, BS like you are talking just lands in the circular file.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...

Last edited by rpenmanparker; 05-02-15 at 08:38 AM.