Thread: Addiction XXXX7
View Single Post
Old 05-12-15, 10:49 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Ramona_W
Well, I'm curious now. When you say "general" kinds of bikes, what do you mean? Are you thinking it would be- for lack of a more apt word- "better" to own a pure form of each variety of bike like a CF road bike, a mountain bike with suspension, a fixie, a BMX bike, a cruiser, etc or bikes with widely divergent gearings or what? What do you feel would be not "the same"?

If I had unlimited space and a less limited income, there are bikes I would have around because I love their lines. LoP posted a picture of that "maroon" Free Spirit and I'm not too embarrassed to say I sometimes gaze at it admiringly as, between rides, it hangs on the bedroom wall. (Is that sick?)There was a green one at the bike shop for a while and I liked that one too but I prefer this dark "nearly the inside of a cherry pie" red.

I have a Trek 820 in the blue fade from 1995. I didn't fall in love with the purple 830 we had in the shop and I'm not sure why but I liked its looks a lot. There was a red with yellow accoutrements Trek in another thread I very much lusted after and the bike below isn't mine but I wouldn't kick it out of the garage either. There's something about the way the Trek folks draw bikes. I guess it's a good thing the conditions above don't prevail.

Yes, the pure type of each is what I would assemble for myself in a color scheme I really liked and at as high a level of parts and frame as I could afford. Then I would be done with that kind of bike as long as I liked its ride. I get that you guys are collectors at heart, and that is what I meant fascinates me. I am not putting it down. I was just interested in exploring it as it is so different from my MO. The last thing I want is a garage full of similar old bikes, but that is just me. Maybe the real problem is that the title of this thread says it all, and I am just not addicted enough. I thought I was, but listening to you guys has opened my eyes.

I hope my probing hasn't offended you too.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...