Old 05-15-15, 07:21 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Westislander
I would really appreciate your expert (and experienced) opinion on this issue - should I get a road bike? will I notice the difference?

About me:
… I also won’t do the bib-spandex thing. I wear hiking pants (long) and a T-shirt when I ride to work. I wear Velcro straps around my pants to prevent a chain-catch. And yes, I wear a small fanny pack. I really don’t care what I ‘look like’.

I’m reasonably happy with my current configuration but was wondering – if I buy road bike, will it make much of a difference? Would it be worth it? I would be willing to spend between $1000 and $1200 – any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Just my off-the–top-of-my-head opinion, but if you seek the riding efficiency of a road bike yet disdain wearing the similarly efficient riding attire, I would question if you are ready.

For what it’s worth, I ride a high end carbon road fiber bike, in spandex, with clipless pedals, on an urban commute in Boston of 14 miles, with variable pavement and a few hills. That’s much more preferable to me than the fine, yet beater mountain bike, with spandex, often looser rain pants, and toeclips, used only because the CF bike never goes out in bad weather (to keep the drive train clean).

Consider also how you are able to store a fine bike while at work. (How to lock up a nice Road Bike in front of work....)

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-16-15 at 11:12 AM.