Old 05-19-15, 01:09 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
i might have recently cleared the trail for you... chinese carbon tubular rims, inexpensive hubs, sapim spokes, using Vittoria CX tubulars and tape (Jantex).

i like the performance (tires at about 75-80PSI), but i had recurring problems with brake squeal and grabby actuation. in fact, on my latest serious accident i'm laying about 20 percent of the blame, after an exhaustive attempt at finding suitable pads, on the braking. the majority of the blame is on, as much as i hate to say it, my incompetence. i should have known better, i knew the braking, as it stood, represented a risk.

i decided to take action... i should have just replaced the front (the brake i use) carbon tubular rim with an alloy tubular rim. it would have been the simplest and most economical choice to improve the braking. but i decided to convert to a front disc brake. it cost more (new fork, new lever, new caliper, new hub, new spokes, and rotor) but i could at least stay with the carbon rim and in the process learn a bit about the latest hydraulic brake technology. and most likely get superior wet-weather braking. not that that is of much consequence here in the semi-arid, drought-ridden central coast of California.

the new disc is now set and i took a quick 10 minute ride the other day. so far so good. my only previous experience with disc brakes was on a FS MTB with XT hydraulics. i have to say i was impressed with them.

BTW, no flats yet, after about 500 miles. i carry a Tufo as a spare (weighs less than 160gms which is about a dollar a gram ) and folds up into about the size of a 32mm tube, and plan on just pulling the Vittoria off (they come off with just the right amount of resistance, with the Jantex tape, to give me confidence that they were on securely, but not so as to make it too difficult to remove) then soft pedal home on the less than secure spare.

i now have two 'flat kits'. and i carry just the one i need. either the one with spare tube, patches, glue, tire irons for the clincher tired bikes or the tubular kit that consists of just the Tufo tubular tire. i know one of these days i'll get a flat and be carrying the wrong kit. i just know it.

Last edited by hueyhoolihan; 05-19-15 at 01:45 PM.