View Single Post
Old 05-29-15, 03:45 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Giant made a ton of lugged frames in Taiwan as did others. KHS is another that made lugged steel in Taiwan.

Given the drive train, I would have guessed the bike was made in Taiwan. Once you outsource production, as Bianchi did, you were not tied to a legacy factory in Japan (think Bridgestone, Panasonic, and a few others). Much easier to make a break and save some serious $$.

FWIW, several of Rivendell's lugged steel frames are made in, you guessed it, Taiwan.....

From Rivendell's web site:

"Made in Taiwan
Frame, fork, headset: $1,250. Complete bike, add $1,300 for a killer standard parts kit, minus saddle.
Models: Sam Hillborne, Cheviot.
Let me be as clear as I can be about this. The words, "Made in Taiwan" come out of the mouth with a ghost apology attached. We all sense that. The reality is that the hand-built, MADE IN TAIWAN Rivendell frames are better made—we believe & with good reason—than 99 percent of the custom frames of the world. The design is ours, and that is gooooood. We don't shortcut any design details. The investment castings (lugs, fork crown, dropouts) are ours & lovely & the same quality as on our customs. The frames are brazed by experts with more brazing experience than almost anybody in America, and the job is not rushed. The quality control inspections are fanatical, and we simply don't ever see a flub-up.
These "standard production models" are, we feel, not only the best value in our line, but in the land. If you like our colors and don't need a wacky braze-on somewhere, by all means rule OUT a Made In Taiwan Rivendell before you move up the price pole."

Last edited by wrk101; 05-29-15 at 04:05 PM.