View Single Post
Old 06-09-15, 07:51 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by RISKDR1
as a competitive outdoor shooter I need to read wind and estimate speed and angle all the time. I think most people over estimate wind velocity. I have had fellow shooters estimate wind speed at 20 mph when in fact my Kestral wind meter calls it at 8. Remember, if you are riding at 25 mph into a 0 wind you effectively have a 25 mph wind in your face. That is not that strong. If you rode into a 25 mph wind I think the average guy would have a hard time going 2 mph for more than a mile, maybe a lot less. Try going 5 mph into that 25 mph wind. That is equivalent to riding 30 mph.
Get prepared for the onslaught, my friend. No one questions posters' claims of wind speed and comes away unscathed.

But regarding your equivalence of 5 mph into a 25 mph headwind with going 30 mph with no headwind, it really doesn't work that way. See for yourself on www.bikecalculator.com In the drops 10 mph into a 25 mph headwind takes about 220 watts. 35 mph with no headwind takes a whopping 770 watts. Or at least so says the calculator.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...