Old 06-09-15, 01:54 PM
captbixley

Bikes: Miyata 1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Miyata one thousand

Recently I pulled my Miyata one thousand, purchased new in 1984, out of the garage and started riding again after 20 year hiatus. I put new tires on and changed the toe clips to platforms. On one of my first outings I inadvertently went from one sidewalk to another which was about 3 or 4 ft lower. I belly flopped on the concrete: Cracked my helmet, cracked a rib, and suffered some bruising and minor road rash. I took my bike in for a tune up. Two days ago they finished and I picked it up and rode home. (previously I purchased a new helmet - I hope I get more than two or three rides out of each helmet). After I got home I noticed that the handle bars are bent. (I didn't notice it riding home nor did the shop notice when they worked on it.) I don't know if they are both bent or only one. I think I and the bike landed on our left side. I don't really like drop bars anymore so would not be adverse to replacing with straight bars. I read how much trouble that can be but the shifters and derailleurs should not be affected, right? Will I be able to reuse my brake levers? Is it safe to ride as is? How do I know if the frame is ok? Any help, comments, and encouragement are welcome.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bicycle.jpg (73.1 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg
handlebars.jpg (68.1 KB, 157 views)