Old 07-03-15, 07:20 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,878 Times in 2,315 Posts
Being that's its both riding and wrenching seasons my torch work is nearly non existent. But here's a repair I just finished. The frame is a favorite of a local smart guy (as in the world science scene). It had broken (fell off a car at speed) at the RH SS top mount and was "repaired" by some one else a few years ago, this can be seen by the brass across the top eye. The owner wanted to preserve the "Raleigh" stamping in the top eye as well as not spend too much.

I decided to not replace the entire stay and only add reinforcement. At first I though about triangular shaped gusset under the SS and ST crotch. But something made me chose to get away from the sight of the repair and do this major bracing instead.

This frame had many alignment issues too. Main frame twist. Front/rear triangle off. Fork twist with bowed steerer being the highlights. I went through the usual aligning steps, bending and prodding. I left the bowed tubes as is and worked around them, choosing their end points as the data points as best I could. No new issues cropped up during this. (Not always the case...)

Next up was the bracing fab., pretty straight forward. Decided where to place vents based on this frame not being dunked in a soak tank or sand blasted. (The owner will do the paint touch up w/ rattle can). Fitted it all up, tacked in a few spots and brazed away. It's been a few months since my last torch time so I was glad to find my hands still remembered what to do. got good penetration if not the nicest fillets. A few file strokes and some shoe shinning with production cloth and here's the results. Andy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0641.jpg (92.7 KB, 30 views)