Old 07-08-15, 07:59 AM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Dave, A couple of years ago I bought a partial bike in similar condition to yours; low mileage and stored for an extended period of time. An overhaul of the hubs and head set took care of the dried out grease and some minor wheel truing were all that was needed (along with the usual consumables) to make it road worthy again. I suspect that your LBS has already done this, but I'd double check to be sure.

I'm in a humid area and I haven't had rust problems with the family's steel bikes, but the Frame Saver maybe a good idea for you, even if just for peace of mind. Otherwise the inspections you're doing should be all that's really needed.

Brad

PS Since you brought up the subject of "training wheels". I've back-to-back tested a spare wheel set pigeon holed for a project bike that could be considered training wheels and the lighter wheel set that was original to my bike and there is really not that much difference. Actually no difference after a mile or so. The difference in weight is about 1.5 lb.

Last edited by bradtx; 07-08-15 at 08:23 AM. Reason: PS