View Single Post
Old 07-17-15, 04:49 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
In just went tubular last week. I have ridden tubulars before but never glued up a set myself. Well, it was a bit of a stressful experience, but, for the most part, went really well.

I probably used too much glue and, in the future, I will opt for the glue pot, not the tubes. I used an acid brush and bare hands. I had some lacquer thinner on hand, in case I needed to clean off some mess. But there was no mess. That, I found hard to believe...

The biggest issue, for me, was getting the tire centered and wobble free. I look at the tape, trying to get it even all the way around and even, side to side. Summoning all my courage, I would lift and center, lift and center, until the tire looked, pretty much, wobble free.

The first ride was good but not really a true test of the wheel set. I am stuck with French threaded pedals and can't clip in with my SPD's. Yes, I could tap the threads and I even have a brand new tap set, but I hate ruining something old, like my Stronglight 49d crank set...

Anyway, once the Continental Giros take a poop, I will install a good quality tire set. If I am going to the hassle of tubulars, I want the best experience, ride quality wise, that I can get.

The glue smells pretty good too!-)